I love candles, but they can be very expensive and if you like to burn a few at a time you can go through candles very quickly. It really frustrates me also when candles do not burn properly and there is a lot of wax left when the wick has burnt out. I therefore came up with an idea and tried it out myself.
I save the candles up and then follow this process.
- Put a pan of water on the boil on the hob.
- While the water is boiling get the candles together of similar colours that you want it recycle and scrape the wax out of the candle but if you are struggling an alternative is to put the candle in the water and gently simmer this. Do not boil too much as the glass may break. Also be careful scraping out the wax be careful not to cut yourself when doing this.
- Get an old tin, We use a baked beans tin and put the wax in the tin, make sure you wash the tin out first.
- Put the tin on the boil once the wax in the candle has melted pour the wax into the tin or put the scrapings into the tin. Let this simmer for a few minutes.
- Next decide which candle you are going to refill and make sure you have enough wax.
- I bought some wicks from amazon of various sizes they cost about £7.00 but there are 100 wicks and a wick sustainer. Put the wick in the empty candle and secure this with the sustainer. The wick kit also includes some wick dot stickers to secure the wick at the bottom of the candle. This is so the wick doesn’t float up when you pour the wax up.
- Once you have done this pour the wax gently into the candle and leave to dry. You need to leave this for a few hours ans it would be better to do this overnight.
That’s it as easy as that.
If you have an questions please do not hesitate in contacting me.